Monday, October 31, 2011

Indictment of Christianity by National Alliance Member

Nobler View Wanted
Letter to Editor of National Vanguard magazine issue #103, January-February 1985

I am White and proud of it, but still there are moments when I can hardly restrain my contempt for the values of my fellow Whites. Last weekend, when I attended the funeral of my grandfather, I experienced such a moment.

My grandfather was a man as noble in stature, as high-minded in judgment, as great in soul as any man I have ever met. He was not, however, religious in any conventional sense until the waning years of his life, when his health began to fail and he came under the influence of fundamentalist Christians. Even then I never knew him to speak of God or an afterlife except in picturesque metaphors from Indian folklore which he drew from his many years as superintendent of several Indian reservations.

At my grandfather's funeral, speeches were given both by a Christian minister and by the chairman of the Southern Ute tribe, an Indian. I was struck by the contrast between the two speeches. The minister used the occasion to preach a sermon about the Christian's victory over death through acceptance of Christ. To my mind this was exploitation of the lowest type; a grieving family is particularly susceptible to such proselytizing. But the worst part was that there was hardly a word about my grandfather; none of the accomplishments of his long life seemed to matter. My grandfather was judged by the sole criterion of whether he "believed in Christ."

It was different with the Indian. He spoke of my grandfather as a "big man," a chief, and praised his character, ambition, and love of family. The Indian's speech was such as our White ancestors might have spoken of a fallen chief in the millennia before Christianity.

***********************
If all that counts in a person's life is a single act of faith, an "acceptance of Christ," then a street bum can be equal
of our noblest sons, for that bum too can "believe."
***********************
I know that many of my fellow Whites are Christians, sincerely and ardently so. It is beyond my poor powers to change their beliefs. But I ask them to consider one thing: If all that counts in a person's life is a single act of faith, an "acceptance of Christ," then a street bum can be equal of our noblest sons, for that bum too can "believe."

No doctrine of human betterment can be built on such a foundation. A truer, nobler view must be found. After 2,000 years of Christianity it is to our shame that we have much to learn on this score from the Indians.

G.A.
Chevy Chase, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment